Sunday 1 December 2013

Hokusai, could it be ?

 Katsushika Hokusai (葛飾北斎), 

(1760 - 1849)

Japanese painter and woodblock printmaker

No no, be assured. I'm not sharing a post on what is considered the most celebrated woodblock printmaker of them all. His "Wave" and many "Views on Mount Fuji", are world famous, iconic and known to all of course, treated and discussed by ukiyo-e experts for a 100 years.

But Hukusai was a painter too, and a drawer and a sketcher. Books with his (and/or his school's) prolific work have survived time, so I've read. But searching for them on the internet delivering not many. Not nearly as many as his prints. Most of the paintings and drawings (I've found) are now treasured in museum collections.  

The reason for the interest and search was, always on the prowl, recently finding the watercolor drawing/painting with pencil notation: "by Hokusai (1760-1849)". I have no idea what the hatted man is doing with the barrel (or large pot). It is not signed and it bares no seal. So I have few illusions and many reservations. It came in a very refined and posh frame. Comparing it with the examples I've found: could it be ? The Wagtail print, which is signed and sealed, has very similar "snow" created by what looks like a tiny splash of water (or acid ?) 

Maybe an expert reader in time, stumbling over this posting, will tell me. Until then I'ld just like to believe ….. And besides, by Hokusai himself or not: I like it anyway.
  
All opinions, information and comments welcomed !

All pictures borrowed freely from the Internet for friendly, educational and non commercial use only.   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment